New year. New season. Virtual Economy is back with a news-filled show covering more Cyberpunk 2077, Raw Fury dropping lots of business documents, our trends predictions for the year, Tencent’s takeover of Leyou, Nintendo’s Next Level Games purchase, and more.
- [00:01:40] Cyberpunk 2077 sales and share value fallout
- [00:12:33] Hey. Armed insurrection and an attempted coup of the United States is bad. Black Lives Matter. Trans Rights are Human Rights. White supremacy is garbage.
- [00:14:14] Tencent acquires Leyou
- [00:19:21] Nintendo acquires Next Level Games
- [00:25:38] Epic bought a mall
- [00:32:50] FTC reprimands Tapjoy for deceptive practices
- [00:37:25] Quick Hits
- [00:49:03] Roblox IP… no?
- [01:03:00] The Sinking City relisted as Frogwares vs Nacon continues
- [01:11:00] Dissecting the Raw Fury contract
- [01:37:00] A look at the trends of 2020 and what we expect from 2021
- Disclosure of estimated sales of Cyberpunk 2077 (CD Projekt): https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/investors/regulatory-announcements/current-report-no-67-2020/
- Leyou shareholders agree to $1.3bn Tencent takeover (PocketGamer): https://www.pocketgamer.biz/news/75297/leyou-shareholders-agree-to-13bn-tencent-takeover/
- Notification of the Acquisition of the Canadian Software Developer, Next Level Games (Nintendo IR): https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2021/210105e.pdf
- Xbox Series X survey asks if you want PS5 DualSense features in the Xbox controller (TechCrunch): https://www.techradar.com/news/xbox-series-x-survey-asks-if-you-want-ps5-dualsense-features-on-its-controller
- The Sinking City returns to stores as Nacon wins first decision in legal dispute (GamesIndustry): https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-01-05-the-sinking-city-returns-to-stores-as-nacon-wins-first-decision-in-ongoing-legal-dispute
- Epic Games Announces New Location for Company Headquarters: https://www.epicgames.com/site/en-US/news/epic-games-announces-new-location-for-company-headquarters
- FTC: Tapjoy’s deception settlement has implications for Apple and Google (GamesBeat): https://venturebeat.com/2021/01/07/ftc-tapjoys-deception-settlement-has-implications-for-apple-and-google/
- Roblox Announces Anticipated Direct Listing (BusinessWire): https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210106005890/en/Roblox-Announces-Anticipated-Direct-Listing
- MINECRAFT EARTH COMING TO AN END (Mojang): https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article/minecraft-earth-coming-end
- Raw Fury Pulls Back Curtain on Publishing Contracts (VirtualEconCast.com): https://virtualeconcast.com/news/raw-fury-pulls-back-curtain-on-publishing-contracts/
- Raw Fury Developer Resources: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kx2oljt3k4c4qcl/AABx7KE8Hj7vILW3gHI0tzzLa?dl=0
- 2020’s Biggest Trends … and Where They’re Heading in 2021 (VirtualEconCast.com): https://virtualeconcast.com/trends/2020s-biggest-trends-and-where-theyre-heading-in-2021/