NPD’s Mat Piscatella joins us again. This time, we’re discussing PlayStation 5 pricing, the messy pre-order rollout, and the August NPD report. We also discuss the Oculus Quest 2 (and whether it’s worth your money), Unity’s IPO, and Razer leaking 100,000 people’s personal information. We also have a hard discussion about Hogwarts Legacy, ethical consumption, and toxic creators. Trans rights are human rights.
Note: Following our recording, Sony issued a statement on the preorder debacle on Twitter:
Let’s be honest: PS5 preorders could have been a lot smoother. We truly apologize for that.
Over the next few days, we will release more PS5 consoles for preorder – retailers will share more details.
And more PS5s will be available through the end of the year.
- Review: We do not recommend the $299 Oculus Quest 2 as your next VR system (Ars Technica): https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/09/review-we-do-not-recommend-the-299-oculus-quest-2-as-your-next-vr-system/
- Razer accidentally leaked the personal information for over 100,000 gamers, report says (The Verge): https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/14/21436160/razer-data-leak-elasticsearch-sever-misconfiguration
- Unity prices IPO above range at $52, initially valuing game software company at $13.7 billion (CNBC): https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/17/unity-prices-ipo-above-range-at-52-valuing-company-at-13point7-billion.html
- New games announced at PS5 Showcase, including Final Fantasy XVI, Hogwarts Legacy, and a new God of War title (PlayStation Blog): https://blog.playstation.com/2020/09/16/playstation-5-launches-in-november-starting-at-399-for-ps5-digital-edition-and-499-for-ps5-with-ultra-hd-blu-ray-disc-drive/
- Sony Cuts PlayStation 5 Forecast by 4 Million Due to Chip Woes (Bloomberg): https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-15/sony-is-said-to-cut-ps5-forecast-by-4-million-due-to-chip-woes