It’s Not-E3, and there’s a lot to cover! We start with a look at GameStop’s disastrous first quarter financials before taking a deep look at the executive compensation problems in the industry, and Activision Blizzard in particular (38 min). We wrap with trends we saw coming out of the Not-E3 blitz (1:02), along with some tips of the hat to stand-out developers, publishers, and games. Let’s go!
Follow us on Twitter at @VirtualEconCast, @AmandaFarough, and @Futterish.
- Disney’s Complicated Relationship With Video Games: https://gamedaily.biz/article/588/disneys-complicated-relationship-with-video-games
- GameStop Earnings: http://news.gamestop.com/home
- EA, Madden NFL 21, Xbox Series X: https://www.ea.com/sports/nextlevel
- Xbox players have spent $1.4 billion on ID@Xbox games: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-06-08-xbox-players-have-spent-usd1-4-billion-on-id-xbox-games
- Activision Blizzard shareholders upset over CEO Bobby Kotick’s compensation: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-06-04-activision-blizzard-shareholders-upset-over-ceo-bobby-koticks-compensation
- CtW SEC Filing: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/718877/000137773920000037/activision20shltr.htm
- Black People Are Always The Side Story: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ep4z5w/black-people-are-always-the-side-story
- Whitethorn Digital receives $1.2m Opportunity Zone investment: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-06-17-whitethorn-digital-receives-usd1-2m-investment-from-erie-insurance-opportunity-zone-fund